- This event has passed.
Virtual Open Day for Year 10s with University of Reading
May 23 @ 9:00 am - 12:10 pm
In this interactive virtual open day for Year 10s, the University of Reading is offering a wide range of talks, taster lectures, campus tours and virtual exhibition stands, bringing the diversity of study and living at university to life in your classroom. Schools can take part in all or part of the event, selecting a personalised programme across the morning that best suits your students’ needs and interests. Participation is free.
Details of the available sessions are below and please use this online booking form to indicate which specific activities you would like to join:
Session 1: 09.00 to 09.30 (Including Welcome)
Expo Stand 1 – Animal Science and Zoology
- Find out about these two animal related degrees and the career paths that they may take you on.
Expo Stand 2 – Archaeology
- Discover what Archaeology is and get an insight into civilizations of the past.
Expo Stand 3 – Food Science
- Explore the different areas of food from nutrition and the technologies needed to produce and manufacture food to looking at the food industry as a business.
Expo Stand 4 – Philosophy
- Philosophy is about asking the big questions and the ability to think logically about the questions that have puzzled humans for centuries. Find out more with Philosophy.
Session 2: 09.35 to 10.15
Taster Lecture 1 – Accounting and Business (Not Available)
- In this fun, interactive Dragons’ Den event, students will engage in analysing, evaluating and challenging
an entrepreneur’s business plan.
Taster Lecture 2 – Meteorology
- Find out all about climate change past, present and future and what would it take for you to be the next budding forecaster.
HE Talk 1 – Student Finance
- Discover the costs of University through an interactive student finance budgeting session.
HE Talk 2 – Careers Mix and Match
- Not all History students become Historians. Not all Chemistry students become Chemists. Explore the careers options a degree can give you.
Session 3: 10.30 to 11.15
Campus Tour by a Current Student
Session 4: 11.20 to 12.10 (Including Concluding Thoughts and a Thankyou)
Taster Lecture 3 – English Language (Not Available)
- Explore how language has changed since the rise of digital and social media whilst thinking about online language, emojis and memes.
Taster Lecture 4 – Psychology
- How we interpret our visual world, what we see and how we process it can be very different from reality. Explore some of the phenomena that define how we experience our world and how that might affect our understanding of it, discussing why this is important and how people use this information in their jobs.
HE Talk 3 – Year Abroad and Placements
- Hear from students and staff about the exciting opportunities for travelling and studying abroad be it in Europe, Latin America or Asia whilst at University.
HE Talk 4 – What Options are There For Me at University?
- Discover some of the choices that you have both in terms of different courses but also different institutions.
All Year 10 students.
None is required although students may wish to consider and discuss some questions they might have about studying and living at university.
The IT Setup:
The setup is similar to Skype, using a pc and webcam, although students take part as a group with the image projected on a whiteboard rather than as individuals in front of lots of pcs. Dedicated videoconferencing equipment is also compatible if available to the school. We will work with your IT department to ensure everything is set up and working prior to the event. Each activity will be limited to 5 schools to maintain the interactive nature of the experience.
Booking a Place:
If you have student groups that you would like to take part in this event, please use this online booking form to indicate which specific activities you would like to join
Subject to availability we will book a place for you.
If you have questions please contact us via email or via the contact form at the top right of this webpage (or at the bottom if you are using a mobile device).