- This event has passed.
The Challenges Of 2030: Business – Rise of the Machines – How Amazon’s Robot Revolution Destroyed Its Competition With Dr Ian Harris From Aberystwyth University
9th November 2020 @ 12:00 - 12:45
As part of Aberystwyth’s exciting The Challenges of 2030 series, Dr Ian Harris from the Aberystwyth Business School will present Rise of the Machines – How Amazon’s Robot Revolution Destroyed Its Competition.
In July 2020 Jeff Bezos’ net worth topped $200,000,000,000! Decades earlier he knew that Savings, Selection, and Speed were key to his success.
Bezos recognised that data, automation, and robotics would support these consumer requirements and create lasting competitive advantage and he invested heavily.
Competitors have been decimated, but is his workforce headed for the same fate?
Within the session, there will be three interactive polls addressing each of the focal points of the presentation: Selection/Speed/Savings.
The event links to A level/BTEC curriculum areas including: Supply Chain/Supply and Demand/Inventory Management/Markets/Business Structure/Business Finances/Marketing.
The other events in The Challenges of 2030 series, which we are adding to, are (Please click):
- 5 October – 14:00-14:45 (UK Time) – Geography In A Digital Age: Reflections On The Smart Technology Revolution
- 12 October – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Fake News, Conspiracy Theories and Disinformation: Past, Present and Future
- 19 October – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Theatre & Performance – The Show Must Go On
- 2 November – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Criminology’s Contribution to the Climate Crisis
- 16 November – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Computer Science – Bioinformatics & Our Genomic Information
- 19 November – 11:15-12:00 (UK Time) – International Politics – The Future of World Order
- 23 November – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Mathematics: Quantum Computing
- 30 November – 12:00-12:45 (UK Time) – Climate Change & Conservation
Lecturer Profile (Please Click): Dr Ian Harris
Suitable for: Year 10 to Year 13 students. The session will be suitable for those studying, or interested in studying, Business, Economics, Accounting, Marketing, Human Geography.
Preparation or Pre-Reading: There is no specific preparation or pre-reading but we recommend that students consider and discuss some of the key issues as they perceive them and think of any questions they would like to ask.
The IT Setup: The event will be run on Bluejeans and participants will be able to join using laptops, tablets, and mobile devices. If you are joining as a school group, we recommend connecting with one device and projecting on to a whiteboard. You will be able to interact with the university via a microphone and/or typed comments and questions. Full details will be sent to those who have registered (see below) prior to the event.
Booking a Place: This is free for schools and colleges. If you would like to take part in this event, please register your interest using the link to the registration form below: