- This event has passed.
Extended Project Qualification: Academic Writing With Katrina Lueddeke From University of Southampton
February 7 @ 14:00 - 14:45
This session will be delivered by Katrina Lueddeke, the Academic Skills Manager for the Learn with US Transition programme at the University of Southampton.
The aim of this session is to enhance the quality of students’ critical writing with a view to achieving higher marks in the written report of the EPQ.
- Explore ways to plan the writing of the EPQ report to ensure information is logically structured and places the research question into the wider context of the research topic.
- Outline strategies to synthesise complex information and make sophisticated connections between the selected information.
- Discover strategies for editing and proofreading academic writing.
Though it is not essential to complete the preparatory work before the session, you might find the session even more useful if you have completed the following task:
Watch our YouTube video titled ‘Planning and Writing the EPQ’ and answer the following questions:
- 1:07: Which section of your academic writing should you ideally begin writing first?
- 5:29 – 6:09: What are at least 2 things to include when writing an introduction?
- 1:22 – 4:33: Write down at least 3 tips to consider when writing the main body of your writing.
- 6:59 – 10:19: Write down at least 3 tips for discussing evidence in the main body of your report?
- 4:34 – 5:27: Identify one thing you should avoid doing when writing your conclusion.
Please note that, although the session is scheduled to end at 14:45, Katrina will stay on until 15:00 to answer further questions.
Speaker Profile: Katrina Lueddeke
For forthcoming sessions in this great 2023-2024 EPQ series with Learn with US at University of Southampton, please see below and click for details:
Our events are designed so that a group of students can take part from a classroom or students and teachers can take part as individuals, either from school or from home. This means that sessions will continue irrespective of possible school closures.
As a live, participative event, this session will not be recorded but slides and other resources will be shared after the event, where available.
Suitable for: Students completing project qualifications such as the Extended Project Qualification. Individual students and teachers as well as groups taking part from a classroom are very welcome indeed.
Preparation/Pre-Reading: See above.
The IT Setup: The event will be run on Zoom and participants will be able to join using laptops, tablets, and mobile devices. If you are joining as a school group, we recommend connecting with one device and projecting on to a whiteboard. You will be able to interact with the university via a microphone and/or typed comments and questions. Full details will be sent to those who have registered (see below) prior to the event.
Booking a Place: This is free for schools and colleges. If you would like to take part in this event, please register your interest using the link to the registration form below: